Selvedge Shop: LONDON

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Selvedge Magazine has long been a source of inspiration to my work with textiles.  Each issue explores a range of subjects organized around a central theme.  It was the Britannia issue (#40) that taught me about the Queen Street Mill Museum, thought to be the last steam-driven weaving shed in the world (and location for the mill scene in the film The King's Speech).  My dog-eared issue React! (#09) contains the fantastic article "Painterly Patterns" that spurred my interest in early 20th-century artists working in pattern and textile design.

Needless to say, when I was planning my itinerary for my recent trip to London a visit to the Selvedge Shop topped the list.  A delayed flight from NYC meant that I had time to drop my luggage and hop a bus to Highgate with not a minute to spare (they are not open on weekends!).  The shop is small and fronts the editorial offices for the magazine.  Despite its size, the shop is filled with treasures: from a wonderfully curated selection of books and notions to bins of textiles and handmade items like the creatures by artist Tamar Mogendorff pictured above.  I highly recommend a visit.


Selvedge
162 Archway Road
London, N6 5BB
Open:  M-F 9:30 am - 5:30 pm

More pics of this textile-lovers dream shop after the jump.








1 comment:

  1. Would love to get lost in this shop for an afternoon! Can't tell what I like more, the products or the stunning pieces they are displayed on. Beautiful post...look forward to following your blog!

    ReplyDelete