Jennifer Shorto: Textile Designer

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Three things happen to me when I see a textile that I absolutely love. One, I want to own it immediately. Two, I desperately wish that I had designed it. And three, I feel compelled to run to my easel, full of inspiration and a desire to make something just as special. The designs of Jennifer Shorto make me feel all of these things. Based in Paris, Shorto studied Art History at the Louvre Museum and has collected antique textiles for over twenty years. Her eclectic collection and world travels have directly inspired her work as a designer. Explaining her passion for collecting, Shorto says "the thing with old textiles-you can see where things cross over, the migration of people and cultures. They can be a wonderful way to explore history." Shorto's newest line includes The Candy Collection of cushions made in collaboration with a Ghanaian village. The brightly colored pillows utilize the Kente cloth tradition of piecing woven strips of fabric while still feeling fresh and modern. I'm in love!

See more of Shorto's textile designs after the jump.

AFR1304 Collection - Hot Stillscape
AFR1304 Collection - Salt Shaker
Nigerian Collection - Harmattan
Nigerian Collection - Aristida







No comments:

Post a Comment